Friday, June 10, 2011

What Brand Am I: CDF® FREEDOM SCHOOLS

"A lot of people are waiting for Martin Luther King or Mahatma Ghandi to come back--but they are gone. We are it. It is up to us. It is up to you." -Marian Wright Edelman (President, Children's Defense Fund)

The brand that I am and proudly to say is the Children's Defense Fund Freedom Schools. This nonprofit organization is the new movement to help ALL children succeed in America. The purpose of the program is to get children engaged in reading and cultural awareness in their communities. What makes this organization different from other programs is the pivotal focus on reading and engaging children by critical thinking skills. It is a program that not only focus on education, but it focuses on children's gifts and talents. This brand stands for something meaningful, which is children advocacy for a better life. I am a person who definitely want to help educate the future and I feel that the educational systems of today are not working to the best of its capabilities.
 
Below, This is a introductory video of the program:


This brand is high energy and creative with its innovative techniques such as Harambee.This program is an internship for college students to receive experience of teaching. I have personally worked with this program for 4 years. Throughout college, I have been with this program and it has changed my life. I did not know the statistics of the poverty and reading rates. Now, I feel obligated to make a difference in the lives of people. This program is open to everyone and I feel like I am a product of this program through the leadership I have given to children and received by working with others. We need to make sure we help others because everyone is important. Everyone should have equal rights and be treated fairly. We should not stop until this happens. "We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes." -Ella Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment